The RAC has become the first UK breakdown service to offer cover for all customers, wherever they are stuck.
As part of a move that it claims will redefine the recovery market, the RAC is extending home cover to all members under its “rescue anywhere” slogan. It is also introducing new levels of cover and support that will do everything from arranging onward travel to providing a jargon-free estimate for repair work which can be passed to a garage.
Until now, home cover hasn’t been a standard feature of breakdown policies, leaving customers with basic packages stranded without assistance if their car won’t start on the driveway.
RAC consumer roadside managing director Andy Baker said: “Drivers told us they thought cover for breakdowns at home should be included as standard in breakdown policies. We also know just how common these sorts of breakdowns can be, especially this year with so many more people spending time at home. So we’ve responded, and anyone choosing one of these policies will now be rescued, regardless of where they happen to be in the UK when they break down.”
The RAC says it fixes 80 per cent of breakdowns on the spot but for the remaining 20 per cent, it will now provide a taxi service of up to 20 miles to help customers reach their destination as well as towing the car to a garage. More expensive cover also grants them access to a hire car while theirs is being repaired, help with accommodation costs and towing to any location in the UK.
The new three-tier cover system also offers new support for customers when it comes to dealing with garages. The standard package provides a written fault report which can be passed to the repairing garage while the mid-tier advanced cover includes a repair cost estimate and jargon-free explanation plus priority access to RAC-approved garages. The most expensive “ultimate” cover also includes a garage concierge service which gives them a taxi from the scene while the patrol books in and tows their vehicle for repair at an RAC-approved garage.
Andy Baker added: “We’ve taken a fresh look at the roadside assistance industry to give our customers greater peace of mind by providing a complete breakdown service as standard, at whatever cover level they opt for. We believe every customer should be rescued wherever they break down, be given help with garages and have access to alternative transport if their car can’t be fixed at the scene.”